Jason Brown – TRU

Reflection on the observation of Jason Brown from TRU instructing in an Advanced Oral Communication class.

My focus in this class was to see what variety of activities could be included in in an Oral Communication class.  I was expecting there to be a topic that was given to the students to then take in to break out rooms and have a discussion.

I had never thought of sound-bites and what a perfect instructional tool.  I thought sending them off to listen to the bite on their own was a good method in that they could really focus on listening and then answering the questions.  If this were done in a larger group they may not have listened as well thinking they could rely on classmates for the answers.  Good strategy.

The worksheet having students rephrase a sentence into a question was an interesting technique.  I like that there were 8 or 10 questions which made students catch on and toward the end could do it more confidently.

The worksheets offered variety as well, from T/F to replacing words, to rephrasing.  Lots of information in such a short time but the students seem to stay up with the pace and did not seem to struggle with the content.

Variety and shorter activities are what I take away from this class.

Teacher: Jason Brown/Hilda Freimuth Date:  May 19 Course: Advanced Oral Communication/Conversation Club Lesson Type: Lesson Topic: Lesson 6 – Academic Listening Studio  
TimeActivityComment
May 19   0930 MSTAttendance was taken      It is important to have the name students prefer to use during class, it was good for all to see their English choice in the brackets of the User List.
May 19   0935 MSTWarm Up A five question Kahoot used as a review from last class.  I think starting with a fun activity serves two purposes.  Firstly, it is used as a review but also a warm up to have students ready for the new lesson being delivered.
May 19   0950 MSTLesson Activity 1 A worksheet on sleep   Jason modelled the first question then moved students to breakout rooms to complete activityModelling a sample with a student both receiving and asking was a effective in making sure students understood the task. There was no confusion in the classroom the students were able to continue task easily
May 19   1015 MSTLesson Activity 2 Individual listening to sound bites  It was good to see that there was a worksheet that solidified student learning
May 19   1030 MST  Closing Homework assigned and instructions given to move on to Convo Club 
May 19Convo Club – HildaIt was interactive right from the start.  It had a casual less structured format.    The topic of ART was casual – it was fun for the students to participate in with hypothetical situations which they could all easily relate to.   Hilda had a PowerPoint with a visual to help students understand and gave an example of what the conversation should start with.