Eva Pappas – TRU

Reflection on the observation of Eva Pappas from TRU instructing in an Advanced Reading.

My first observation was significant difference in an online lesson right after viewing Tanya’s face to face classroom.

It is much more difficult online.  I had a short conversation with Eva after the class and my burning question was what motivates the students to come to this class.  This was a level 3-4 split.  Two students spoke and their English sounded good.  Eva said that a number of them were in Asia so this class was happening in the middle of the night.  Their motivation was this was their entry into degree programs at TRU.  I understand that.  It makes me wonder what SAIT’s entry requirement is and is it as rigorous as we do not have a TESL program.  I’m guessing that our students just need to prove a level of proficiency in the form of testing when they apply.  This is now my homework to find out what our policy is. 

The students did not put on their cameras at all so I felt the student engagement was really not there and there was a lack of enthusiasm on their part even in answering questions.  Eva’s approach is asynchronous.  The prep work is all done upfront and the students tune in for 30 minutes to get an update on what the next set of activities and assignments are.  There was time for questions if the students needed.  This approach fits this level and situation with internationals in their home country.  There needs to be self-motivation to engage with the content, exercises and assessments.  I do not know the students but I can expect that this has to be a mature group in order to complete the course.

My Adult Ed. Masters was in Distance Education and as I compare the classroom level 1 dynamic and the online dynamic, at this point, I am preferring the in-classroom face to face environment. 

Below are my comments to her lesson

TimeActivityComment
  1530              Welcome    Class started with a Welcome and asking students to share an emoji on how they are feeling No cameras or mics open  Eva talked nice and slow as she went over her agenda of the lesson          
1535Warm- UP   Did a poll of three questions about reading.  10 students in the class but only 2 answered and they did not put on the camera.  
 Delivery Eva went over the work for the week – 9 activities in regards to Chapter 2         Introduced Assignment of a Book ReportI may have opened up at least one of the activities to show students what to expect.     I liked that she showed a template of what the book report was to look like.  I think the students realize that although they need to read a book, the assignment itself is not too difficult
 Reviewed Homework     At this point she asked if there were any questions  This was the first check in after going through several activities, assignment and homework  
1600Class Ended